Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Generation Y

This past weekend was the Generation Y conference. It was a Buddhist Conference focused on the 21-35 age group. They figured out that this age group is the most disconnected from the Church. I tried to get a bunch of my friends to attend and wasn't very successful so I was surprised that there were a good number of us there (26). Once the day was over I WAS SO HAPPY I WENT! We had some great workshops. The first one I attended was on finance. It's pretty relevant to me right now. Since I have a steady income, I need to learn how to invest my money. What will be the best way to make what I have grow. The other workshop was on communication skills. They brought in a life coach and she taught us how to best communicate with people. What I got from it was you need to listen to people. Listen to what they are saying and be interested in what they're saying. To me this can be hard. Because sometimes I really don't care what someone is telling me and therefore its very hard to listen. Sometimes I really want to listen and I know I should listen because what the other person is saying is important. But it's just impossible to concentrate on what they are talking about. I think I just have some major ADD.

We also made all of our meals. We cooked Yaki Soba for lunch and California rolls, Futamaki, and Chawamushi for dinner. I must say it was all VERY GOOD!!! As a group we also went the Thalassas for a quick cocktail before dinner. I just took a shot of Hen and decided that getting trashed before dinner would be a bad idea. After everything was over we had a reflection period where we decided to form a committee to plan next years conference. Everyone had a really good time and that made me really happy. I can't wait for next year.

1 comment:

Lexi Matsui said...

Hey blogger! I'm glad you're writing this ... helps me keep up on your life! It sounds like the event was a great success, and I hope next year I'm in California for it. Anyway, miss you lots -- let's catch up soon.