Thursday, May 1, 2008

When are you TOO old to play basketball?!?!

So I am 23 years old and have been playing basketball since I was in the 2nd grade. It's been a long time and my Basketball career has definitely gone through its ups and downs. I still try to play but mainly to prevent myself from becoming a fat piece of lard. Through the years I have had my fair share of injuries. Freshman year of High School I broke my wrist. Pretty much missed that whole school season. Then that summer I cracked my collar bone, so there goes the summer. The next school ball year I played the WHOLE year but then during the spring I tore my acl. So if you calculate it. I had three major injuries in 1.5 years. Junior year, I had knee surgery preventing me from playing the season. From the number of injuries you maybe able to figure out that I was pretty aggressive. I remember I was fearless and ran after almost every ball. By the time Senior year came around I lost that. The competitive drive I used to have was gone and the only time I played was during Asian tournaments.

So this past Monday I went out to play some pick up with my friends. We play at the Cisco Campus and usually just wonder around to a court to find others to play. We found some older men to play 5x5 against. There were a couple of guys who were in their 60s playing. Just the fact that they were still playing made me feel like a wuss. I'm 23 and complaining about how much this or that hurts. So my friend Ray who is 24, , 6'2 and probably like 225 was guarding one of them. Okay, I know as you get older things usually don't work as well. I mean I can tell just from the shape I was in during high school to now. But this didn't happen to this man. Ray was getting ran off the court. I don't know how many times I had to try to run back to pick up his man. I mean he probably can't make hard cuts or do a fancy spin move but he could run up and down the court a couple of times before Ray ran up and down once. hahahaha Okay, maybe that is a slight exaggeration but you get what I'm saying.

Then on Tuesday I had a league game with the girls in San Francisco. We are an all asian team and we played against these big farmer girls. The one I was guarding probably out weighted me by 60 lbs. That is not an exaggeration. At the end of the game I ended up with a bruised chin, bleeding lip and a jammed finger. My first through is.... I'm getting too old for this. But then I have to think of the 60 yr old man that ran Ray and keep it up. If I could run half as well as he does for about half his age I'll be happy.

No comments: