Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Years

Our new years eve plans were pretty mellow this year. We decided not to go too crazy w/ a crazy city party and went to Nate's house where he holds a party every year w/ an ice luge. The LUGE HUGE success. I've heard that it was a blast last year but now I think I can't go to a party without one. The set up was pretty sweet. My cousin has a small porch and steps that lead up to his house. The luge was placed on top of the porch while the intakers could stand on the ground below. It was perfect and a lot of fun. It's amazing how smooth the booze goes down.

The night wasn't too crazy, but we did have a lot of fun. Darren and I ended up spending the night at Erin's house and then made sure to get back home to Oakland pretty early to help with all of the new years day feasts.

The morning stated off w/ Darren, Popo, Mom and I making a crap load of Chap Jae. It's clear korean noodles. Kind of like a Korean style chow mien except that the noodles are made from yams so Mom can eat them. Once we finished making a whole trey of that, my Dad took it over the the Kag's and the rest of us got ready to go out.

The first stop was Auntie Anah's. She is a long time family friend. I'm guessing in her 80's and she prepares the whole New Year's Day feast w/ her twin sister all by themselves. It's a treat. The most formal of the three houses we all sit around the table. And pass food. I always make sure to grab my black beans. They say its good luck but I really like the taste of them. The biggest plus about the house: The Albacore, best sashimi of the day.

The second stop was what we call Uncle Alfreds or the Chinn's. But the party is held at my Auntie Arlene's sister's house in the hills of Berkeley. If you been around the hills of Berkeley the houses are phat. P-H Phat. It was a much different setting. We get there and Darren turns to me and goes.. wow its a little louder here.. haha... No sit down meal here, there's just a big table w/ food and you grab. The best dish from this house: Skirt steak. SOOOO tasty and tender. Delicious. We ended up staying for a while b/c well they also had wine and sake. I think between my Mother, Darren and I we each had 3 glasses.

Last and Final house of the night. The Kags. You would think by now I would be stuffed at the seams. You're right. I was stuffed but not stuffed enough not to eat. hahaha. Many people would think Christmas is my favorite holiday. WRONG. New Years Day is def my favorite holiday. How can you resist all that sashimi, steak, black beans!!! Ozoni...Everything was delicious and no 1 favorite dish here. But we did get in our sake shots w/ the family. Our initial plan was to drive home to San Jose after New Years Day. Lets just say we only made it to Oakland. Lets you know how much fun we had...

Now Diet Time, until next year! **Cheers**

No comments: